Logistics chain companies are often tied to the schedules and requirements of their warehousing customers or partners, for example with warehouse management software. You go to the camp at the agreed time.
But when there were delays sorting and packing the cargo, their trucks spent extra waiting and idle time in the warehouse. If the warehouse misjudged the space requirements, there would be a lot of unused space in a van.
These are just a few of the warehousing inefficiencies that supply chain companies face.
These gaps and inefficiencies can be significantly reduced by adopting supply chain management software from Softeon and other similar companies, for example. Supply chain companies can also increase their productivity if their warehousing customers use software applications.
Here are some ways warehouse management software can impact the supply chain.
1. Integrate warehouse operations into the logistics chain
The first impact of adopting and implementing warehouse management software is that it can integrate warehouse operations and management with supply chain operations and management.
The design and installation of warehouse operations and management can be arranged with a seamless connection. This is consistent with the operating software of logistics chain companies that provide services to the warehouse.
Here are some of the implications of integrating warehouse management software into the supply chain:
- There will be improved and enhanced coordination between warehouse management and logistics chain operations.
- Warehouse management can provide the logistics chain with a forecast of the cargo and packages that will leave the warehouse. In turn, the logistics chain can plan the appropriate brand or number of vans to be sent to the specific warehouse.
- The logistics chain can help the warehouse manager to plan and optimize the space allocation in the delivery trucks based on the forecast of the packages to be picked up as well as the sizes of the different boxes and bins.
- The logistics chain can plan the arrival of the delivery trucks in time for the preparation of the freight items. This will also help the logistics chain make the best use of their time and resources to generate more revenue
2. Increasing the efficiency of the logistics chain
Another impact of introducing and installing warehouse management software is to increase the efficiency of logistics chain solution providers. Logistic chains are highly dependent on the schedule and warehouse requirements. They don’t send a truck unless the warehouse has called that they need a truck of a certain size and tonnage capacity.
Here are some of the potential impacts of warehouse management software on supply chain efficiency:
- Logistics chains can use their trucks for other deliveries and commitments because warehouse management software can give them a more accurate and consistent schedule for pickups and deliveries.
- Based on the loading plan and the space allocation requested by the warehouse, the logistics chain can arrange the schedules of their truck fleet so that the most suitable cargo truck is always available around the time it is needed by the respective warehouse.
- There would be reduced waiting and idle time for delivery trucks. It can have a positive impact on the efficient use of resources through the logistics chain, potentially leading to more trips and higher gross revenues.
3. Optimize productivity and delivery routing
There is a power of advanced and more organized information management that warehouse management software can provide to the supply chain. It could greatly optimize the logistic company’s productivity and delivery route.
The increase in efficiency only eliminates the unnecessary gaps in the use of time and resources by reducing waiting and idle times. Optimizing productivity and routing takes it to the next level.
Here are some of the ways that logistics chains can optimize their productivity and delivery routes as a result of warehouse customer or partner implementation of management software:
- The logistics chain can set up their schedule of pickups and deliveries to optimize the number and capacity of their truck fleet and meet the warehouse customer’s space allocation and schedule requirements.
- If the warehousing customer has several warehouses, the logistics chain can further optimize its productivity and delivery routes. You can use reverse loading to pick up cargo from the original delivery point to transport it to your delivery point.
- Logistics chain companies can further streamline delivery routing by scheduling the warehouses and delivery points that are closest to each other on the same truck delivery and pickup schedule.
4. Quotation tracking of delivery, routing and unloading
If the warehouse customer or partner adopts and implements their warehouse management software, the real-time integration of data management will enable the logistics chain delivery management software.
Through the use of GPS devices, tracking software applications and video camera surveillance solutions, the logistics chain can give the warehouse customer access to real-time data on delivery operations. Here are some of the other ways that logistics chain companies can improve warehouse tracking capabilities using management software:
- Logistics chain companies can offer barcode scanning or radio frequency identification (RFID) services that would allow warehouse customers to monitor and track the precise location and status of their crates and containers, particularly those containing high-value cargo.
- Logistic chain companies can provide customers access to location, movement, transportation GPS devices and tracking software. This would give their customers real-time information on the location of the specific truck containing the cargo they are tracking. This would also alert the warehouse customer in case the van gets involved in an accident or is held up somewhere by heavy traffic.
- Bar code scanning or RFID facilities can also be used at the delivery or unloading location. This provides the warehouse customer with accurate information about the specific cargo boxes and containers that have been unloaded and properly received at the delivery or unloading destination.
The introduction and implementation of warehouse management software can greatly benefit logistics chain companies. The integration of their systems and mutual access to real-time data management will fill many gaps and inefficiencies.
It will also optimize the productivity and delivery routes of their truck fleet. They can also offer their warehouse customers real-time monitoring and tracking of shipments and unloading. The warehouse software will create a synergy between warehouses and logistics chain systems.